The extract below from page 54 of "The Report of the Commissioners concerning Charities containing that part which relates to the County of Devon Vol. III" (1830) explains the background of John Burrington Charity:
"John Burrington, by his will, proved in 1643, gave to the poor of Crediton, in bread, weekly, for ever, 1s. to be paid out of Chapel Downs.
The present owner of Chapel Downs, an estate in Crediton, is Mr William Harris, who pays 2l. 8s. per annum to the church wardens and overseers of the poor of this parish, 4s. being deducted from the above-mentioned gift for land-tax."