These photos of the former Downes sawmill were discovered amongst the Berry & Vincent papers. The mill was more or less at the entrance to what is now Kirton Motor Spares in Four Mills Lane. Stanhope House, at the junction with Station Road, can be seen in the background. W.J. Furse & Co Ltd charged £25 for demolishing the chimney in 1953.